Many of us like to garden in order to bring some aesthetic beauty to our yards. It’s hard to believe that some of these beautiful plants are in fact toxic to humans and animals. Here are 12 of the most poisonous yard plants that you’ll want to make sure your kids and pets stay away from.

Let’s Check out 12 of the Most Poisonous Yard Plants

 

Rhododendron—The prettiest of the most poisonous yard plants

While this strikingly bright flower, common in Asia and Appalachia in the United States, may look beautiful, especially when hanging over a picket fence, it is in fact, highly toxic. Some species of rhododendron are poisonous to animals due to a toxin called Grayanotoxin in their pollen and nectar. For humans, ingesting a flower, stem or leaf can lead to abdominal pain, difficulty breathing, paralysis and even coma.
Rhododendron is prettiest of the most poisonous yard plants

 

Nerium Oleander

This is another example of a beautiful plant with poisonous DNA. Nerium Oleander is a rounded shrub or small tree featuring a variety of single or double flowers in a wide range of attractive colors. All parts of this plant are poisonous and can affect the gastrointestinal system, the heart and the central nervous system if consumed or inhaled.
Nerium Oleander

 

Daffodil

While this classic yellow flower may look welcoming, their toxic bulbs make them one of the most poisonous yard plants. If you have a dog who likes to explore your yard, you might want to rethink planting these flowers as ingesting can cause vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions and tremors in your beloved canine.
Daffodil

 

Silver Queen

This attractive evergreen shrub grows pale green flowers in the summer, sometimes including pale pink fruits. While the fruits may look tempting, Silver Queen is one of the most poisonous yard plants as they can cause vomiting, diarrhea, chills, convulsions and even a coma. If you have children, it may be a good idea to avoid planting this toxic shrub.
Silver Queen

 

Nightshade

This deadly plant was the inspiration for the Nightlock Berries in The Hunger Games. While the dark berries found on this plant may look tempting, death will strike almost immediately. Pop one poisonous berry in your mouth and suddenly, you’ll experience violent convulsions which can possibly lead to death.
Nightshade

 

Wisteria

These beautiful purple flowers are beautiful to look at, but both the seeds and the pods of this plant are dangerous and can cause mild to severe stomach aches. All parts of the plant contain wisterin, which is toxic and may cause dizziness, confusion, speech problems, nausea, vomiting and stomach pains.
Wisteria

 

Foxglove

The tall purple, pink and white bell-shaped blossoms of the Foxglove can add some height and color to your garden, but be careful. These are one of the most poisonous yard plants for your pets and your wild animal neighbors. All it takes is a little nibbling of these plants, your family dog or a wild deer can experience cardiatric symptoms such as a lowered or irregular heart rate.Foxglove

 

Wolfsbane

Also known as “Devil’s Helmet,” this deadly flower is full of a poison called Pseudaconitine, which was used by the Ainu people of Japan as a lethal hunting weapon. After contact, it can cause an intense burning feeling in the limbs and abdomen immediately. In some cases, if consumed in large doses, death will occur in as little as 2-6 hours.
Wolfsbane

 

Hydrangea

This popular plant is easy-to-grow and makes a great addition to any front- or backyard landscape. However, if you have cats or dogs who like to spend time outside, it may not be the best idea to include it in your garden. If your furry friends chew into the flowers or leave, they could experience lethargy, vomiting or diarrhea.Hydrangea

 

Poodle-dog Bush

Common in the Southwest region of the United States, the Poodle-dog bush often shows up around areas that have experienced a wildfire as it thrives in areas with disturbed soils. Seemingly innocent-looking, touching this toxic plant can result in a mild rash and blistering to more severe reactions including severe respiratory distress.

Poodle-dog Bush
cyclingasmetaphor.wordpress.com

 

Doll’s Eye

It’s fortunate that this plant is so creepy looking, as its looks alone act as a warning of its status as one of the most poisonous yard plants. The berries of this plant contain cardiogenic toxins that can lead to cardiac arrest and possible death, if eaten.
Doll’s Eye

 

Lily-of-the-Valley

Breaking Bad fans are sure to know about this poisonous flowering plant native to New Mexico. All parts of Lily-of-the-Valley (stems, leaves and berries) are incredibly poisonous and have been found to contain 38 different toxic cardiac glycosides. If ingested the plant can cause abdominal pain, vomiting, reduced heart rate, blurred vision and drowsiness.Lily-of-the-Valley